SUMMER & COMMISSION WORK
Hey all! I hope your summers have been going awesomely for you guys. I've been having a lot of fun traveling around and spending time with friends over the past couple months. Internet access has been non-existent to sketchy for me at best which is why I haven't been around here as often as usual. Rest assured though, I should
have steady internet availability from here on out. I have well over 1,000 comments to read through and over 200 notes to catch up on; I will be spending the upcoming several days getting back in control of my inbox so please be patient as I work through them.
I've been putting in some work on regular commissions this summer but compared to my usual pre-summer work pace, I've been taking it easy. This break has been hugely refreshing and I am ready to get back into the swing of things and start turning out orders again once I get my inbox taken care of.
Aside from commissions, I have been keeping busy with various artistic activities. Earlier this summer we had an impromptu sidewalk chalk doodle fest. I made a colorful cat.
And just this past Saturday night I made shrinky dinks for the first time ever. SO much fun.
I should have a picture of my creations for you guys soon. MASS EFFECT COSPLAY HEADPIECE
However, the biggest and most intensive project I worked on this summer was an Asari headpiece that was for a group cosplay of Mass Effect 2 characters that my friends did at GenCon up in Indianapolis a couple weeks ago. The process for the headpiece was a lengthy and impressive one and I've learned what a massive amount of work goes into the creation of prosthetic pieces.
Once we had the concrete mold of our friend's head made, my friend and I started in on sculpting Samara's tentacled head onto it. This process took a couple weeks of labor and thanks to my friend's hyper-critical eye, we were able to get the clay sculpt a pretty darn near close replica of how the Asari tentacles appear in the game.
We next made a concrete cast of our sculpt and after cracking that off and rejoining it, we were able to pour in the latex. Pulling the latex out of the head mold was something almost magical. It captured all the contours and details of the sculpt that we had put so many hours into and transformed it into a pliable, flexible, wearable piece of costume magic.
Painting was the last step and a process which took me about five hours to complete but left me with a headpiece that had truly been brought to life.
Although it was a stressful experience (partially because it was my first time working on something like this but mostly because of the time crunch we were under) I still really enjoyed watching everything come together and would like to work on something like this again. Especially now that I know what to expect.
Also, if things work out, my friend and I have discussed opening up commissions for these headpieces as well as other custom prosthetic pieces.
To see PICTURES
of the group cosplay at GenCon 2011, please check out my friend's Cosplay.com page at elion_augustus
is also the one who cosplayed the Commander Shepard of the group.
To see WIP pictures of the process behind Samara's prosthetic headpiece, please stay tuned. I will update this journal with the photos once I have them available.
------------------------------------------------------- I am OPEN for custom COMMISSIONS, please check out my FAQ for terms and prices: [link] tips and general FAQ can be found here: [link] I have a selection of a few of my different ART pieces available as affordable PRINTS, please see here for details: [link]
SKINS featuring my tribal designs are available for sale here: [link] click the link and choose the "SKINS" tab to see the available designs.
To have a vinyl DECAL made of an available design or a design you have previously purchased from me, please see this journal here: [link] designs available to have decal-ized can be seen in this gallery here: [link].
I'M SORRY, I DO NOT TAKE FREE ART REQUESTS OR POINT COMMISSIONS